Affordable and Flexible
Located in Lawrenceville, the $2.6 million Ice House Artist Studio is
designed to provide basic, affordable rental studios, group workshops
and rehearsal spaces, and office spaces for artists, arts organizations
and arts and design related businesses. There are three general sizes
of space: small (406-837 sq. ft.), medium (870-1, 642 sq. ft.) and large
(2311-2475 sq. ft.). Rents range from $235 for 427 sq. ft. to $1,366 for
2385 sq. ft. Monthly rents do not include utilities. Each space includes
a gas furnace, an electric meter, a gas sub meter, and (if there is a
sink in the space) a sub meter for water usage and a gas water heater.
This enables tenants to control and monitor their own utility usage. Tenants
sign three year leases. Some short-term spaces available.
The Ice House is located a few blocks away from Lawrenceville's bustling
Butler St. business district, offering answers to everyday needs and more.
"16-62," Lawrenceville's marketing initiative touts over 70
shops, showrooms, manufacturers, studios, galleries and sources for home
and office furnishings, accessories, art, craft, antiques, architecture,
interior design, renovation and construction. Easy access to points throughout
the city is available by bus, and the building is also near Rt. 28 and
I 279 for direct access outside the city. For a different perspective,
The Allegheny River and the city's Bike/Hike Trail is two blocks from
the Ice House.
The Ice House Studios, now listed on National Register of Historic Places,
was built primarily in 1907 as Factory No. 2 of the Consolidated Ice Company.
It was later purchased by the Chautauqua Ice Company, which at the time
also owned the Strip District building that is now the Heinz History Center.
By century's end, not much was left in the building of the original ice
manufacturing process. But the owners actually made ice here, rather than
shipping ice down river from upstate New York and storing it for sale,
as Chautauqua did in the Strip District. Old maps show gigantic freezing
tanks, storage areas and wagon sheds on this site. The courtyard was the
loading area, first for wagons and then for trucks. Part of the two-story
building on the south side of the courtyard was the horse stable, horse
drawn wagons being a familiar sight in many Pittsburgh neighborhoods into
the 1920s. The extremely high ceilings and thick walls are also evocative
of the building's former life. Ice was made here until approximately 1950.
Years later, concrete was made here, and later still, waterbeds. Prior
to Artists and Cities' purchase in July 2000, the building had been vacant
for about 15 years.
The $2.6 Ice House Artists Studios was financed through loans from Pittsburgh
National Bank, Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation, the Urban
Redevelopment Authority, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania's Dept. of Community
and Economic Development and the Lawrenceville Corporation. Philanthropic
support came from 13 local foundations. Historic tax credits awarded through
The National Park Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior for historic rehabilitaiton
were purchased by National City Bank Community Development Corporation.
Architect: Perkins Eastman Architects, PC. General Contractor: Sota Construction
Services. Property management: The Rubinoff Company. Owner/Developer:
Artists and Cities, Inc. through its Ice House Development Corporation
as general partner of Ice Factory Limited Partnership; National City Bank,